Asthma is a condition that affects a person’s airways. With asthma, the airways become over-sensitive and react to things that wouldn’t usually become a problem, such as cold air or dust.
What to do if someone is having an asthma attack?
- Sit up straight as soon as possible
- Take very slow, steady breaths
- Find the persons inhaler (normally blue), ensure they take one puff every 60 seconds
- Over the age of 6 – take up to 10 puffs in 10 minutes
- Under the age of 6 – take up to 6 puffs in 10 minutes
- If no improvement after 10 minutes call 112